Spring has always has a wonderful sense of newness about it. For us, this year has an added element of blossoming and newness. Along with all the fruit tree blossoms on the plum, apricot, and Pippin apple tree (above), we have new beginnings going on all around and in our home.
This Spring's many firsts include:
- This is the first rainy season that we haven't had any standing water in the crawl space under our home thanks to the drainage system that is artfully hidden by pea gravel walking paths. It is so rewarding to know my hard work paid off.
- This is the first spring that I have use of the entire square footage of the back garden without any rubble piles or "works in progess" in the back corners.
- Our house has a new strong foundation on the south side and is braced by pilings that go down into the ground 30 feet. The sense of security we have now is beyond words--particularly because we live in "earthquake country".
- This last Saturday, the contractors installed the very first side utility door in the garage wall. Now the garage has natural light coming in even when the garage door is closed. It's not a dark cave anymore!
- When we walk into the garage now, the wonderful smell of new lumber envelopes us and reminds us that we have brand-new studs along the entire exterior wall that are solid and sound (no more damaged wood!).
- I have successfully prepped the entire area across the back of the house for a new deck to be installed by our contractors. Once the finishing touches are done with the garage wall, the deck starts. The piles of brand new lumber in the back are a wonderful sign that it's really going to happen!